What is a Home Directory?
A home directory is the folder given to a user on a particular network. The directory is where the user stores all of their person information, files, log-in scripts and user information.
Why do I need to back-up my Home Directory?
Back-ups are an important part of maintaining any online systems. Just as you back-up your photos or documents, you need to back up your home directory in case you suffer a data loss. You need to back-up your home directory before you make any changes on your website.
How do I back-up my Home Directory?
- Log into your cPanel account – this is the account you use to access the dashboard of your site.
- Navigate to the ‘Files section’.
- Find the ‘Backup Wizard’ button and select it.
- Under the ‘Backup Wizard’, you’ll find ‘Backup or Restore’ – select the ‘Backup’ option.
- You’ll then be asked whether you want to conduct a Full or Partial Backup.
- Select ‘Partial Backup’ and click on ‘Home Directory’.
- Click ‘Download’ and your back-up will begin!
If you need to restore your website to the point of your last back-up, you simply head to the cPanel and find the Backup Wizard again. This time, you hit ‘Restore’ and upload the last back-up you downloaded.