In order to have a website, you need to ‘host’ it somewhere. This is where your website lives, where it’s updated and where all your tools are for creating and integrating your website with the world wide web. Hosting providers have servers, which is where your website data is kept. When an internet user wants to see your site, they’ll find you or type in your URL – once they’ve done this, they’ll be directed to the server where your website lives and they’ll view your website.
Hosting companies require you to have a domain. A domain is simply the name of your site – like https://solblu.uk. If you don’t already have a domain that you’d like to use as the address for your website, you can often purchase one through your hosting provider.
What does hosting do for my website?
As well as giving your website somewhere to live, your hosting company may provide:
- A website building tool, allowing you to change the look of your website.
- An email account that is directly linked to your website name (domain).
- A database to store files and pictures you need for your website.
- Support to help you with looking after the security and updating of your website.
What types of hosting are there?
You cannot have a website without hosting, but there are several ways to purchase web hosting:
- Shared hosting – low cost hosting that’s great for newbies and small websites. You’ll share your server with lots of other websites for a lower rate and with a simple, easy to use service.
- Virtual private server – looks like a private server, but is actually a shared server. This is perfect for those website owners that need more control over their site, but don’t yet need to invest in their own dedicated server.
- Dedicated server hosting – rent your own exclusive server with full root access. These cost more but they are perfect for very large, high traffic websites that need to remain speedy and handle lots of functionalities.
- Cloud hosting – combined resources come together to provide a hosting service that’s scalable. You simply pay for what you need, when you need it.
- Managed hosting – provided by hosting companies alongside technical services such as hardware, software set-up and configuration, website maintenance, support and regular updates. WordPress managed hosting is a great example of this.
|Click on the images for larger versions in a new window|
Why choose Solid Blue Liquid for hosting?
With Solid Blue Liquid, our hosting features:
- Monitored servers – ensuring that your site is always online.
- 24/7 technical support – looking after your website in a way that makes sense to you.
- Security – protected from hackers and breaches using enterprise level hardware.
- Easy to use – clean and simple control panels for easy SEO, free SSL certificates and simple domain registration/
- Live chat – no anonymous FAQs, we’ll help you in real time.
If you’re new to the world of web hosting, or don’t know what you need yet – we can help. All our clients have access to our Knowledge Base, as well as dedicated support. We’ll make recommendations based on what you need from your website and we won’t sign you up for services you don’t need.
If you’re looking for hosting with a more human touch, simple interfaces and dedicated support, get in touch.