When you search for hosting online, there are literally thousands of options. From big companies with millions of customers, to smaller local hosting providers. It can be hard to know which is best.
What should you look for in a web hosting company?
- Support – check out the support packages available. With some companies, you’ll only get a high level of support with their larger/more expensive packages. With Solid Blue Liquid, you get 24/7/365 technical support.
- Reviews – Trustpilot offer a reviews service that allows customer to leave unedited reviews and ratings of their dealings with a company or service provider. Look for a 4 and 5 star reviewed company to invest your domain in.
- Security – Be bold and ask how secure a company’s servers are. They should be regularly serviced and tested. They should also offer a variety of security levels to suit your requirements.
- Price – Cheapest isn’t always best! Have a good look around and assess companies in the median price range. Paying over or under the odds is not a good sign.
Big brand hosting
There are plenty of big brand hosts out there. With millions of customers and thousands of reviews, they’re easy to spot and usually pretty straight forward to work with. The pros of using a big hosting company is the simplicity of the service, their vast experience and competitive pricing. Most big companies offer all of the bells and whistles, but you may need to pay for them.
Many larger web hosting companies also offer a good level of support. However, if you have an ongoing issue, it’s worth remembering that you will not speak to the same person repeatedly. Call centres and live chat assistants may be based overseas and working to a set number of commands. There is a level of ‘small cog’ thinking when it comes to using a big provider. As long as you are confident in what you need from them and are happy to look for support in forums and elsewhere, a big brand is a simple one-stop-shop option.
Small company hosting
So, why would you consider choosing a smaller or local brand? There are several great reasons.
- More server space/time – With less sites sharing the same servers, you’ll get better speeds and, potentially, more space for your money.
- Security – With fewer sites to manage, small servers are very secure and easy to closely monitor. Also, hackers are less interested in attacking small servers as it’s simply not worth their time. You can sleep soundly, knowing your site is housed safely.
- High levels of support – Working with a smaller team, small companies get to know their customers. They’ll know your site, be able to help with any level of problem and continue to keep up correspondence. Your custom means much more to a smaller company, therefore, you can expect better service.
- Customise it – See something you like? With a smaller company, you can discuss things you may need, outside of their packages. Bigger companies don’t tend to allow for flexibility on hosting additions etc.
Of course, these things vary from company to company. Generally speaking, you get a more personalised service with a smaller company. If you want to know more about our dedicated hosting, check out our services or speak to one of our team.